United States

National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD) www.ncadd.org
Helpline: 800/NCA-CALL
Mailing address: 20 Exchange Place, Suite 2902 New York, NY 10005.
This organization provides education, information and assistance with drug and alcohol related problems. It has offices in New York and Washington, and a nationwide network of affiliates.

Substance abuse and mental health services administration health information network (SHIN) www.samhsa.gov
:  1-877-SAMHSA-7 (1-877-726-4727) TTY:  1-800-487-4889
Mailing address
: SAMHSA’s Health Information Network P.O. Box 2345 Rockville, MD 20847-2345.
This organization offers information on a wide range of alcohol and drug misuse and mental health problems. You can also access information on treatment options and local services on their website www.samhsa.gov/treatment/or by calling them.

Dual recovery anonymous (for people with alcohol or drug problems and another mental health problem) www.draonline.org
This organization offers 12 step programs and peer support groups for people dealing with alcohol, drug problems or dual diagnosis (alcohol or drug problem together with another mental health problem).

Al-anon, Alteen www.al-anon.alateen.org
These organizations offer information and support for family members and friends of alcoholics who may or may not have stopped drinking (adapted for caregivers from Alcoholics Anonymous). Alteen provides support for teenagers with a parent with a drinking problem.

Nar-Anon www.nar-anon.org
Nar-Anon members are family and friends who are concerned about the drug problem of another. Nar-Anon’s group program is adapted from Narcotics Anonymous